This week is Book Blogger Appreciation Week (BBAW). I knew this for a fact about two months ago, swore I’d take part, and didn’t spend any more time thinking about it because I had BBAW in my Google Reader so I knew I would stay informed. Except just yesterday — BBAW Day 2 — I realized my RSS feed was wrong and I hadn’t received a single update the entire year. So I didn’t nominate any blogs, I didn’t vote for any blogs, I didn’t interview a blogger, and I didn’t even know about the BBAW Daily Topics (until, of course, my Google Reader was flooded with everyone else’s posts … sigh).
So. Here I am, making up for lost time. Coincidentally, I also recently realized it’s been a long time since I shared some of my favorite book blogs. There’s no better time to do so than Book Blogger Appreciation Week! Think of this post as a mashup of the BBAW Daily Topics … sort of. Be sure to check out these blogs — you’ll soon be adding them to your Google Reader!
- A Striped Armchair: When I read Eva’s posts, I feel like I’m talking to a friend. She’s so engaging, and she is a really prolific reader. I enjoy her short “snippets” on books just as much as her in-depth reviews.
- Buried in Print: This blog is chock-a-block with women authors (which I read a lot) and Canadian lit (which I should read more of). BIP’s reviews of 2011 Orange Prize nominees helped me select my reads for Orange July. And now she’s piqued my interest in the Giller Prize (and I do love my literary prizes)!
- Iris on Books: Iris is a delightful Dutch blogger who reads a lot of classics and feminist literature. She has a way with the English language that I truly admire. And I love when she shares details of her day-to-day life — school, holidays, and so forth.
- My Porch: Thomas is an Anglophile classics reader who also blogs about art, travel, and books he sees people reading on the subway. And he has a really cute dog.
- nomadreader: Carrie is another literary prize aficionado, and we have similar taste in books. When I’m not sure whether to invest time reading a particular book, I look for Carrie’s reviews to light the way.
- Roses over a Cottage Door: I “met” Darlene during Virago Reading Week, when she gained fame throughout the blogosphere for her post, Deacon’s Virago Adventure. (Go on, click. You won’t regret it!) Since then I’ve found a kindred Virago spirit in Darlene, who like me adores Winifred Holtby’s South Riding, the work of Elizabeth Taylor, and a host of other Virago authors.
- The 3 R’s Blog: Florinda reads more recently published fiction than I do, and I enjoy her take on new(ish) releases. One of these days I’ll get around to reading them! Besides writing a fabulous book blog, she’s an ace at Words with Friends.
- The Boston Bibliophile: I’ve followed Marie’s blog ever since she joined The Complete Booker a few years ago. She’s currently tempting me with her Europa Challenge, which I may have to succumb to next year.
So there you have it: eight book bloggers who build community and influence my reading choices every single day.
For more book blogger love, check out my earlier Favorite Lit Blog posts:
Enjoy the rest of BBAW!