Not long ago, I posted about reading more nonfiction. I need some outside forces to motivate me, so I joined a Non-Fiction Challenge group on LibraryThing. Then I came across the year-long Non-Fiction Non-Memoir Challenge, hosted by Julie @ My Book Retreat. I’m in!
The challenge offers multiple levels of participation. The “Diploma” level requires reading 10 books, enough to stretch me a little. My list is very much subject to change, but at the moment I definitely want to read:
- The Other Elizabeth Taylor, by Nicola Beauman
- The Omnivore’s Dilemma, by Michael Pollan
- The Worst Hard Time, by Timothy Egan
- The Guns of August, by Barbara Tuchman
And I have several other books on my shelves that qualify, including:
- Parting the Waters, by Taylor Branch
- Before The Mayflower, by Lerone Bennett
- The Purity Myth, by Jessica Valenti
- Edith Wharton, by Hermione Lee
- It’s Only the Sister, by Angela du Maurier
- The Suspicions of Mr Whicher, by Kate Summerscale
I’ll report progress in my quarterly reading updates. Let’s go!