The 2012 Elizabeth Taylor Centenary is gathering steam. This week we expanded beyond the LibraryThing Virago Modern Classics Group by launching a Virago Classics Readers Facebook page. Today I’m pleased to announce a series of monthly reads hosted by literary bloggers.
The success of this venture depends on you, fellow bloggers, both to read books and to host. Hosting is easy. Rachel @ Booksnob helped me brainstorm about it this week. Here’s what’s involved:
- Advertise the monthly read on your blog a week or two before the month. Encourage people to read the book, and to visit on a specific date when you commit to posting about the book and facilitating discussion in the comments.
- On the chosen date, share your personal thoughts on the book. This can be a review or just that, thoughts. Pose discussion question(s) and invite comments.
- Invite other bloggers to share their thoughts on the book. We’ll be collecting links, probably through a Mr. Linky on my Elizabeth Taylor Centenary page.
- At the end of the month, post a wrap-up that points to that month’s set of links, and highlights what different people have said about the book.
- Feel free to get creative. Anything goes: prepare a recipe mentioned in a Taylor novel, dress up your pet as your favorite character, you name it!
If you’d like to host, please use the contact form at the end of this post, and let me know your first and second choice book. I’ll confirm your month as soon as possible. I hope to hear from you soon! (update 1 February: for the latest list of hosts, click here)
- At Mrs. Lippincote’s (1945)
- Palladian (1946)
- A View of the Harbour (1947)
- A Wreath of Roses (1949)
- A Game of Hide and Seek (1951)
- The Sleeping Beauty (1953)
- Angel (1957)
- In a Summer Season (1961)
- The Soul of Kindness (1964)
- The Wedding Group (1968)
- Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont (1971)
- Blaming (1976)
Yes, I’d like to host a monthly read!